For the unknown, golf can be intimidating. So many rules, clubs, balls, birdies, bogies, bump and runs and what not! There is technique, strength, poise, and structure involved in the game. From striking your irons to driving and pitching, there is a good amount of exercise needed to finish your game. Here is a beginner’s guide to help you build yourself some solid game knowledge.
Read these tips to start playing golf and improve your game.
What are the different golf terms?
- Golf tee – the plastic/wooden pick you hammer into the ground to place your ball on.
- The green- the area around the hole
- The rough – the area on either side, filled with trees and longer grass
- Fairway – the path that leads to the hole/green
- Bunker - a ditch filled with sand
- Hazard- anything that hinders you from scoring a hole. Ex: stream, ponds, bunkers, trees.
- Stroke – the swing that you do while hitting the ball.
How do I score?
There are 18 holes on a golf course. Every hole on the golf course is denoted by a ‘par’ which is the ideal number of strokes it should take you to get the ball in that specific hole.
You can keep track of your score by counting the number of strokes you make. However, there are some scoring terms that you need to know.
- Ace – a hole in one stroke
- Par – the particular number of strokes taken to get the ball from your tee to hole.
- Eagle – 2 strokes under par
- Birdie – 1 stroke under par
- Bogey – 1 stroke above par
- Double Bogey – 2 strokes above par
- Triple Bogey – 3 strokes above par
What equipment do I need to start playing golf?
You don’t need to spend a lot of money to get started playing golf. You need no more than five clubs. We recommend buying a 7-iron, 9-iron, gap wedge, sand wedge, and putter to start with. These are usually available as beginner kits in all markets. You can find some amazing clubs here.
Oh yes, you will need to buy some balls as well.
Now that you’ve procured everything you need to know about golf, you need to start playing.
We recommend finding yourself a coach or a mentor before you start playing golf. You can team up with your experienced mates to learn the game. Although, here are a few tips to help you begin with the game:
- Learn how to grip the club properly.
- Try to keep your head down and still as you swing.
- Do not bend from your knees. Always bend from your hips.
- Position your ball correctly.
- Know your distances with each club.
- Develop a perfect posture.
- Try the Par 3 course.
- Play at least once every month.
We hope that this guide has helped us have a better understanding of Golf. We hope that this will help you take up this sport.
Visit asiansports.in to grab exclusive deals on golf clubs, balls, kits, gear, etc. at affordable prices.